At 8.30 this evening there was a live announcement by Boris Johnson, the UK is going into lockdown. Like most people we did expect this, the numbers are jumping way to quickly for any other course of action.
The lockdown is for 3 weeks, after that the Government will review the situation and decide what course things will take. There are just four reasons why Britons can leave their houses.
- shopping for basic necessities, as infrequently as possible;
- one form of exercise a day – for example a run, walk, or cycle – alone or with members of your household;
- any medical need, to provide care or to help a vulnerable person;
- travelling to and from work, but only where this is absolutely necessary and cannot be done from home.
The government will be acting in three key ways to ‘ensure compliance
- closing all shops selling non-essential goods, including clothing and electronic stores, and other premises including libraries, playgrounds and outdoor gyms, and places of worship;
- stopping all gatherings of more than two people in public – excluding people you live with;
- stopping all social events, including weddings, baptisms and other ceremonies, but excluding funerals.
As my husband works at Wilko we wouldn’t have thought that they would be classed as an essential business but we will have to wait until tomorrow to find out for sure.
It’s still 28 days to Easter but we took the Easter eggs to our 5 grandchildren as I doubt we will allowed to go out even by then.
This morning we had 5,683 cases and 281 deaths. At the time of the live announcement there were 6650 cases and 335 deaths. A total of 967 new cases and 54 deaths.